Monday 28 January 2013

27th January 2013: Post scrimmage training.

Just a quick one, training tonight we had the ever so awesome John aka 'Xavier Bacon' visiting and supporting our crew refereeing for the afternoon. John took a Head Ref Rear IPR role giving our newer refs a chance to shadow. It's so important to have time to be out of the pressure of having to call things, and take a back seat to let the game come to you, so to speak.

I mainly stick to front IPR at training sessions as it's something that just naturally happened due to our crews preferences but tonight for the second 30 minute scrimmage I moved over to Jam ref. (eeeeep)

As with anything, its really easy to stick with what's comfy and, as much as the word sounds like bad practice, it's easy to neglect other areas. I'll be honest thought and say, I have spent little time Jam Reffing. As much as I realise I made a few mistakes I noticed the general understanding and ability was in me for the role but needs some more specific focus.

As a short term aim and plan I will practice more in the Jammer ref to develop as an all around ref, while reading specific rule areas and discussion, in depth around the position.. Hopefully will see some progression in the area over future sessions.


No comments:

Post a Comment